11/19/10

Embossing punch and die, poinçon et matrice


I make this punch out of a steel rod with a file. To harden it, I heat it till it is red hot then quench it in water. Now that I have the punch, I am able to make the die. To do so, I heat a square bar in my furnace and when it is red hot, I quickly secure it on the vise. I hammer the punch on top of the bar with a few blows. The steel bar is softened by the heat and the punch marks the metal easily. I use these custom made tools to design rings embossed with a pattern.

Le poinçon est façonné à la lime dans un barreau d'acier. Pour le durcir, je le chauffe au rouge et le trempe dans un seau d'eau. Avec ce poinçon je vais pouvoir faire la matrice. Pour cela je chauffe une autre barre au rouge. Je la fixe dans l'étau, pose mon poinçon à son sommet. Je frappe fortement le poinçon avec un marteau pour transférer dans la barre l'empreinte de celui-ci. J'utilise ces deux outils conjointement pour créer un motif qui se répète sur mes bagues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment