11/3/10

Reticulated open bangle, bracelet réticulé

I roll a strip of silver on my rolling mill (lenght 170mm, width 40mm, thickness 1.2mm, weight 80gms). I cut the strip into pieces of different shapes . The pieces are layered on a refractory brick, I make sure that they overlapped a bit. I abundantly cover them with borax. With the torch, I bring the metal to fusing temperature. By moving the flame slowly from one side to the other, I create the reticulated texture. I have carved a piece of wood and use it as a tool to forge the anticlastic form of the bangle. Sulphuric acid pickle is the best way to clean the metal before applying the patina.

Je lamine une feuille d’argent, longueur 170mm, largeur 40mm, épaisseur 1,2mm, poids 80g. Je la découpe un plusieurs morceaux de formes différentes. J’étale les morceaux sur une brique réfractaire en les faisant un peu chevaucher. Du borax est ce que j’utilise comme décapant de soudure. Avec le chalumeau je monte la température jusqu’à ce que les morceaux d’argent commencent à se fondre à eux-mêmes. En déplaçant la flamme en zigzags, je réticule le métal. Je donne au bracelet sa forme anticlinale sur un bloc en bois que j’ai sculpté exprès pour cette tâche.

No comments:

Post a Comment