11/9/10

Making silver wire, fabrication du fil d'argent


I start from a silver bar that I have cast. The bar is forged on the anvil to make it more regular. It will fit better inside the grooves of the rolling mill. Once the section of the wire is reduced down to 2.5 x 2.5 mm, I switch to the drawing plate. I use motor oil to lubricate the wire while pulling. When I anneal thinner wire (diameter smaller than 2mm), I coil a stainless steel wire around it to prevent melting the silver by accident.

Je commence par couler une barre d'argent dans la lingotière. J'aplanis la barre sur l'enclume afin qu'elle passe mieux dans les gorges du laminoir. Je lamine la barre jusqu'à ce qu'elle ait une section de 2,5 x 2,5 mm. Je peux à present passer le fil par la filière pour continuer à réduire son diamètre. Lorsque le fil atteint un diametre inférieur à 2mm, je le recuis protégé d'un fil inox afin qu'il ne fonde pas par accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment